Have you ever looked at a picture on your screen, printed it out, and gone: this don't look at all like the picture on my screen. This is where monitor calibration comes in. With a Calibrated system, you will actually print what you see on your monitor. If your monitor is not calibrated, then there is no point in doing anything like color correction to your pictures.
Accuracy: Chroma x,y: 0.0020 (CRT), 0.0035 (LCD)
Luminance: Y Typical +/- 1.5%
Dynamic Range: Black Point: 0.02 cd/m2 , White Point: > 5,000 cd/m2
Infrared Filter: Included
Calibration Time: Approximately 5 minutes
Optical Device: Patented Datacolor Colorimeter
Mounting Methods: Suction Cups (CRT's), Counterweight (LCD's)
Cable Length: 6 ft
Computer Connection: USB
Dimensions: Depth 1.4" / Width 4.25" / Length 4.7"
Weight: 3.2 oz. (including counterweight & cable)
Hardware warranty: 2 years
64 bit compatibility: Yes
Gamma Choices: unlimited
Color Temperature Choices: unlimited
RGB PreCAL: Yes
Customized Analysis for monitor type: Yes
Multi Level Help Screen: Yes
Before and After Feature: Yes
Calibration Reminder: 1 day - 6 months (user defined)
Included Software: PrintFIX PLUS Software
Software Updates: Free
Tech Support: Unlimited
CRT, LCD, Laptop Display
Windows 2000, XP and higher
Mac OS X 10.3 or higher
Powered USB Port
Items included: Spyder2 Colorimeter
Spyder2 Professional Monitor Calibration Software CD-ROM (Site License), ColorVision PrintFIX PLUS Software CD-ROM, Quick Start Guide
Price From: Discontinued
Spyder2PRO Professional Monitor Calibration System
Award-winning Spyder2 Colorimeter
- The state-of-the-art Optical Science incorporated in the Spyder2 colorimeter provides a five-fold increase in color sensitivity over previous technology with a patent-protected light baffle for accurate characterization of LCD displays.
Sleek, Dual-Phase Hardware Design
- The Spyder2 colorimeter offers effortless LCD, CRT, and laptop calibration while protecting delicate LCD screens.
Ambient PreciseLight Function
- The Ambient PreciseLight Function measures ambient light and balances studio lighting and monitor settings accordingly.
Front Projector calibration
- The Front Projector calibration option ensures that your images are shown to their best advantage in presentations using LCD or DLP Projectors.
Advanced Color and Tone Adjust Features
- Sophisticated Gray Balance and Tonal Response Algorithms provide demanding users with exceptionally smooth gradient steps and neutral grays, while an advanced feature set is available including RGB Pre-Calibration function, multiple gamma and color temperature options, and multi-monitor capability. There is also an exclusive Automated Black and White Luminance Adjustment feature for use in precision targeting, providing more consistent calibration results.
Multiple Monitor Calibration
- Multiple Monitor Calibration and Matching allows you to calibrate and profile multiple monitors on a single system or across an entire studio, providing a more accurate and consistent color workflow among multiple workstations.
Comprehensive Calibration Wizard
- Easy-to-Use Calibration Wizard with comprehensive help guides you through the entire calibration process and the unique before and after viewing feature lets you compare your display with and without calibration.
PrintFIX PLUS Printer Profiling Software
Software-only Printer Profiling
- PrintFIX PLUS Printer Profiling Software is a software-only profiling tool to give you fast, precise results, and does not require a 3rd party scanner.
Elegant Software with Step-by-step Assistance
- The PrintFIX PLUS Printer Profiling Software provides Wizard assistance, to check your print quality, and to optimize your printer's media setting. Furthermore, the help menus and tutorials assist you with the basics (and not-so-basics) on how to get great prints.
High Quality Printer Calibration and Adjustment
- The PrintFIX PLUS Printer Profiling Software creates high-bit, tunable ICC printer profiles and lets you preview your results at different rendering intents. The easy-to-use editing tools let you optimize your prints as you see fit, even adjusting for viewing conditions.
- Accurate. You print what you see.
- Good documentation/help. Even if you have never calibrated a monitor before, the software helps you thru it.
- Slow, monitor calibration takes time, average time i spend per monitor is more then 20 minutes. It is worth it though.
A complete must, for any photographer doing digital darkroom. If you don't need multiple monitor support, get Spyder2suite instead. If you don't print your pictures your self, and don't do any color correction, get the Spyder2express.
A note to people using dual monitors and AGP graffix cards in Windows, you will not be able to use different profiles for your monitors, you need PCI-express or 2 gfx cards to be able to do this. This is not a limitation with the Spyder2, but a limitation in windows.
Xrite EYE ONE XTREME Price: $1,495.00 USD
Spyder3Studio. Price: $499.00 USD
Xrite ColorMunki Price: $399.95 USD (rebate available)
Xrite Eye-One Display 2. Price: $199.95 USD
Spyder3Elite. Price: $224.95 USD
Xrite Eye-One Display LT. Price: $149.95 USD
Spyder3Pro. Price: $149.00 USD
Spyder2express Price: $64.95 USD
*Prices and rebates are subject to change. Listed price is from July 31, 2009